Thursday, February 28, 2013

Concept Art

So at the mo I'm in a group project that will be makin a game.  We are going for a 2.5D game and the theme is zombie, but with a slightly new twist to it.  The character designs are still in progress, but here are a few ideas that I put forward to start with.




As the main character is being based on a zombie fungus, the idea of a spore head or bunch of spores seemed appropriate.  I really like the ball spore version with the devils tail, and thought a lot of cheekiness could be gained from it.  Most of the others preferred the 'sideshow bob' broccoli headed style in the 2nd sketch.

The first works well too, but as the environments are still in the process of being designed, it was more a case of just sketching some ideas down and getting the ball rolling.
The last sketch was more of a left of centre test to see what 'monster' version might work.  Went a bit moomin on it unintentionally.

I'll post up other ideas soon, I'm going to try out some distinctly zombie master looks and maybe surreal it with no eyes and expressioned eyebrows.

Either way it has to be relatively simple as I've got to make a 3d model of the friggin thing.  That's gonna be fun.

Friday, February 15, 2013

Processes


Nothing amazing about the following post, I wanted to put it up for a reference for myself on how a process can be interrupted and how getting that interruption out or at least exploring it is important.  It's out of my system now, so I can return and focus to the original sci-fi idea I had.
The rough sketch created of a factory and rugged terrain (purple was working for me) got merged together and then the opacity and layer effect tweaked to give the grey and pale pink image.  When I saw this it reminded me of a castle in the sky or city in the sky.
So I printed it out, it printed slightly smaller than A5, and I went over it in pen.  It was then scanned in at a low res, giving the next image and finally some colour added which resulted in the 5th image.  I was more interested in seeing how grass worked for this castle in the sky...perhaps clouds or candyfloss like rendering would have been better.
Anyways, it was a welcome distraction between study to give my head some time out. The original idea is still being worked on in small bits and I intend to get the image as close to the imagining I have in my head as possible.  Mind you, seeing how the distraction came about it kinda highlights to me that perhaps my 'imagining' needs to be more focused and clear.
At least this version of the pic is out and over and done with - so that means one less unfocused drawing to deal with. :)